Skip to content

7 High-Protein Snacks That Support Quick Weight Loss

Keep these healthy snacks on hand.
FACT CHECKED BY Christopher Roback

When it comes to weight loss, a healthy diet is crucial for success—and that means healthy snacks, too. Choosing high-protein options will encourage fat loss and give you energy. "It is important for individuals to consume protein every day," chef and dietitian Nancy Waldeck tells Piedmont Health. "Daily protein intake plays a role in keeping your cells in good shape and should be part of your daily health maintenance plan." Here are seven great high-protein snacks to support weight loss.


Edamame,boiled green soybeans with salt

Edamame is a great choice for a healthy high-protein snack on the go. "Soybeans contain all of the essential amino acids necessary for human nutrition and have been grown and harvested for thousands of years," Aaron J. Michelfelder, MD, tells American Family Physician. "Populations with diets high in soy protein and low in animal protein have lower risks of prostate and breast cancers than other populations."

Boiled Eggs


Whole eggs contain protein and good fats. "The protein found in eggs — both whole eggs and egg whites — is really high quality protein, containing all of the essential amino acids we need," dietician Kylie Arrindell tells Houston Methodist. "About 40% of this protein is found in the egg yolk, and the other 60% is in the egg whites."


Greek yogurt on wooden background, Health food from yogurt concept

Yogurt contains healthy fats and protein. "Greek-style yogurt contains less water than regular varieties," Dana Angelo White, M.S., R.D., A.T.C. tells Food Network. "This creates yogurt with a tangier flavor and thicker consistency; this also affects the nutrition facts. One cup of non-fat plain Greek yogurt has 80 calories and 13 grams of protein."

RELATED: 15 Quick Ways to Lose Body Fat Percentage in a Week

Nut Butter

Jar with peanut butter on peanut background, close up

Nut butters are loaded with protein and fiber, making them a great choice for a filling yet healthy snack. "Nut butters contain a mix of nutrients including fiber, protein, B vitamins, phosphorus, zinc, and vitamin E," says registered dietitian Andrea Hasson from Cedars-Sinai Nutrition Counseling Services. Peanut butter has the highest protein.

Cottage Cheese

cottage cheese in a wooden bowl

Cottage cheese is high in protein and calcium, making it a very healthy snack. "In a half-cup serving of cottage cheese, there are approximately 14 grams of protein," Alison Graziano, RDN, LDN, tells Massachusetts General Hospital. "Making it an excellent choice for individuals looking to increase their protein intake."

Canned Tuna

Canned tuna fillet meat in olive oil, on black background, flat lay

Canned tuna is loaded with protein and full of nutrients such as iron and omega-3 fatty acids. "Your body can't produce the amount of omega-3s you need to survive," says the Cleveland Clinic. "So, omega-3 fatty acids are essential nutrients, meaning you need to get them from the foods you eat."

RELATED: I Transformed My Body From Flabby to Firm and Here Are My 3 Secrets



Cheese is high-protein and promotes satiety. It's also an easy option to keep on hand for snacking on the go (for example, individually wrapped string cheese). Cheese also contains calcium and selenium.

💪🔥Body Booster: Always keep a healthy snack on hand to avoid poor food choices.

Ferozan Mast
Ferozan Mast is a science, health and wellness writer with a passion for making science and research-backed information accessible to a general audience. Read more